Friday, February 1, 2008

What's in a name?

If you've ever seen the movie "Mad Max" you will probably remember that a number of the characters had some rather odd but interesting names - Toecutter (the head bad guy), Mudguts, Johnny the Boy, Bubba Zanetti and Nightrider Montizano, to name just a few. No, VelcroeRunner (yes the spelling is correct) was not a name of one of the characters in the movie but it just as well could have been. But then I probably would have preferred to have been 'Mad' Max Rockatansky because he was the vengeful hero who would eventually become the famous "Road Warrior" (although he turned out to be a rather lost and lonely soul in the end).

But I'm going off on a bit of a tangent here. "VelcroeRunner" is based in part from a nickname I was given by Kelly during her training for the 2007 Chicago Marathon.

I guess it was a little bit of a joke since I used to wear a pair of SAS shoes that had two Velcro straps instead of shoelaces. Beyond that I can't recall the exact circumstances (or maybe I do and I'm just not telling ;-)) by which I acquired the nickname "Velcro" but I stuck by Kelly during her marathon training, getting together with her for training runs, giving support and encouragement, running with her during several races and providing her with an unlimited supply of running food - all culminating in a plan to pace her for the last ten miles of the Chicago Marathon (that's a story for another day).

In any event, during one of my clever moments (I was naming my new Microsoft Zune2 mp3 player); I added the word "Runner" to an amended spelling of the word "Velcro" and there I was...

OK, I know this all sounds quite silly and probably a little sappy but I am still proud to be the VelcroeRunner!

Maybe I should get a t-shirt… ;-)

No comments: